You can never be 100% sure on the internet, every time you open a connection the risk of some virus or malware penetrating your computer is always high.
As I always repeat, IT security depends 90% on our actions and the first piece of advice that we must always give, in addition to keeping at least one antivirus updated on your computer, is to go on the internet with caution, trying to recognize by eye if you happens in dangerous web pages or not.
Since it can be difficult, even for the most experienced, to understand if a site has code inside that steals private information (email addresses, credit cards, and so on) or that contains viruses and malware, let's see with Google Chrome some internet security extensions for preemptively catching these websites e navigate without risks or dangers.
READ INSTEAD: Best security extensions on Firefox
1) One of the best security extensions on Chrome, indispensable for those who love to explore the web, which also exists for Firefox and Internet Explorer is WOT (Web Of Trust) which indicates the degree of security of a website with a color that can be green, yellow or red. Searching with Google or Bing, next to each result, there is a colored dot and even if you go directly to a site, the extension at the top right shows the degree of danger and security. I have already talked about WOT in the generic article on programs to browse safe sites.
2) Avast online security is an extension for Chrome that tells us, for each site we visit, if it is 100% safe, if it is insecure and to be avoided or if it is a site where you have to be careful because it has infected your PC in the past. This extension is particularly useful for discovering fake or fake pages of known sites.
3) Antivirus Extensions for browser security and protection against malicious sites and malware downloads.
4) Pixelblock is the extension that blocks the tracking of Emails received in Gmail.
5) ClearURLS which removes tracking tags from links received via email.
6) Click & Clean is the extension to clear the data of the sites visited when Chrome is closed
7) HTTPS Everywhere to always open sites in HTTPS, with secure connection and set up the secure https connection always, if possible.
8) DotVPN is a VPN for Chrome, to encrypt and anonymize traffic and simulate connection from another country, unlimited, free and with 12 countries to choose from.
9) Bitwarden is the famous password manager used on the internet. Here the speech I think will touch the many people who use the same password and the same login to access their accounts of all the sites in which they are registered. This practice is among the most discouraged in the world along with that of using passwords that are easy to remember. Last Pass, whose use is certainly to be explored, allows you to create complex passwords for each site to which you register and stores them on its servers, in an encrypted way. Not even the staff who work at LastPass can see them and this is 100% sure because otherwise this online service would not be so famous. The only thing you need to remember is the login password.
10) Blur is a very effective alternative to LastPass to generate strong passwords and manage them in Chrome without the possibility of them being discovered by others.
11) Panic Button, to close everything in a second, in case someone enters the room.
12) Personal Blocklist to block unwanted sites in Google search results
13) Google Software Removal Tool to fix malicious plugin and extension problems.
14) The extension Windows Defender Browser Protection Microsoft adds protection to automatically block access to dangerous sites. If you try to visit one of these sites, a red tab titled "This website has been reported as unsafe" will open and the Windows Defender icon will turn red. The protection is activated whenever an online threat is detected in the form of phishing sites, those that are not what they appear to be and sites with malicious software downloads for your computer. If you then click a link in an email that leads to a phishing site, it will automatically be blocked by Windows Defender on Chrome.
15) Password Alert to find out if the password used is compromised or already used
16) Ghostery is another powerful anti-tracking extension that protects privacy to the maximum by eliminating all tracer and all invasive advertising.
17) OPSWAT File Security for Chrome, to scan each downloaded file with 30 antivirus together, so you can be sure it's good and not harmful.
18) TrendMicro Check is another security extension for Chrome, which protects against malicious websites and blocks ads.
Obviously installing all these extensions is a bit paranoid and perhaps it would be better not to.
Choose only those to which you may be sensitive, avoid drastic solutions that can prevent the display of certain sites and always be careful where you click even if you go to lock the Google browser.
19) Privacy Badger is the best security extension to block third party cookies and protect privacy.
ALSO READ: Chrome privacy and security options