What is 4G
Before explaining to you how to activate 4G on iPhone, I want to briefly illustrate what this technology is. In fact, you need to know that 4G is the abbreviation of 4ª generation and is the upgrade of mobile connections in 2G e 3G. You should also know that this speed is now practically included in all mobile phone offers, as there are also superior technologies such as the 4,5 G and 5G.
The minimum speed that the 4G it can reach is equal to 100 Mbps in download and 50 Mbps in upload, according to what is the standard LTE also called Cat.3. In reality, however, the speed can be even higher and, moreover, it varies according to its category. In this regard, I indicate below what are the most popular categories with the relative download and upload speeds:
- LTE Cat. 4 - the maximum speed is 150 Mbps in download and 50 Mbps in upload.
- LTE Cat. 5 - the maximum speed is 300 Mbps in download and 75 Mbps in upload.
- LTE Cat. 6 e 7 - the maximum download speed is 300 Mbps, while the upload is, respectively, 75 and 100 Mbps. From this category onwards we talk about standards LTE Advanced o 4G + (4G Plus)
- LTE Cat. 8 - the maximum speed is 3000 Mbps in download and 1500 Mbps in upload.
- LTE Cat. 9 e 10 - The maximum speed is 450 Mbps download, while the upload is 50 and 100 Mbps, respectively.
- LTE Cat. 11 e 12 - the maximum speed is 600 Mbps in download. In upload, however, the respective speeds are equal to 50 and 100 Mbps.
- LTE Cat. 13 e 14- the maximum speed is 400 Mbps in download and, respectively, 150 and 100 Mbps in upload.
- LTE Cat. 15 - achieves download speeds of up to 4000 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 100 Mbps.
- LTE Cat. 16 - the download speed reaches up to 1000 Mbps, while the upload speed is 150 Mbps.
That said, in order to be sure to take advantage of 4G on the iPhone, it is necessary that there is specific support from Apple for the smartphone, as well as support from the telephone operator. In fact, the support for the standard must be indicated in the iPhone data sheet LTE Advanced, 4G + or a category equal to or higher than the 6.
Anyway, please note that 4G is supported on newer iPhone models (fromiPhone 5S onwards), so if you've bought a new iPhone, you shouldn't have any issues with that.
How to get 4G
As anticipated, in order to take advantage of 4G on the iPhone, the device must be compatible with this technology and also, if successful, you must subscribe to a mobile phone offer that allows you to use this new Internet browsing speed.
In this regard, I indicate to you, in the following lines, what are some of the most convenient offers that allow you to have the Internet in 4G. For more information, I suggest you consult my guide dedicated to the best mobile phone deals.
- TIM Without Gold Limits - is a rate that offers unlimited calls and unlimited internet traffic for some social networking and messaging apps. In addition, 18 GB of 4G internet traffic is available per month. The price is 18 € / month. More info here.
- Vodafone Shake Remix Unlimited - it is a plan at a cost of € 15 / month that offers unlimited minutes and 60GB of Internet in 4G. For some social networking and messaging apps, GB is unlimited. More info here.
- Wind All Digital - the plan offers unlimited minutes and 50 GB of Internet in 4G at a price of € 11,99 per month. More info here.
- 3 Play Power 60 - the plan offers unlimited minutes, 200 SMS, 60 GB of Internet in 4G. It costs € 11,99 per month. More info here.
- Illiad GIGA 50 - the plan offers unlimited minutes and SMS, 50 GB of Internet in 5G and costs € 7,99 / month. More info here.
- Fastweb Mobile Freedom - the plan allows you to get unlimited minutes, 100 SMS and 30 GB of Internet in 4G. The price is € 9,99 / month. More info here.
- I have. All clear - the virtual operator of the Vodafone group offers unlimited minutes and SMS, as well as 50 GB of Internet in 4G (with speed limited to 30Mbps). The price is € 12,99 / month. More info here.
- Kena 12,99 - the plan of this virtual operator offers unlimited minutes and SMS and 50 GB of Internet in 4G at a cost of € 12,99 / month. More info here.
If the offers that I recommended in the previous lines are not for you, I suggest you take a look at the page dedicated to the comparison of mobile phone offers on the SOS Rates site, in order to compare all the different tariff plans, via the appropriate buttons made available.
Also, before signing up for a mobile phone offer that includes 4G connectivity, remember to make sure that coverage is available in the area where you live or frequent. In this regard, refer to my guides regarding 4G TIM coverage, 4G Vodafone coverage, 4G Wind coverage, Iliad coverage, 3 network coverage and Fastweb Mobile coverage.
How to activate 4G on iPhone
If the iPhone model in your possession supports the 4G Internet speed foreseen by the tariff plan you have subscribed to, it's time to see in detail how to activate 4G on iPhone.
To do this, press theicona dell'ingranaggio located on the home screen, then tap on the item Mobile phone which you can see on the next screen. Now, move the lever up ON, corresponding to the item Mobile data, to enable packet data.
Once this is done, click on the item Cellular data options and then presses on the wording Voice and data. Finally, turn on the option LTE (o 4G) by tapping on the latter. Then wait a few seconds, so you can surf the Internet using the Internet connection in 4G. Did you see how easy it was?How to activate 4G on iPhone